Thursday, January 21, 2016

Demolishing the Time-Suckers


We live in a fast-paced world. Demands tug at our time like an octopus on steroids. 


I looked at my to-do list recently and whined, "Lord, I don't have enough time. How am I supposed to get everything done?"
I'd entered Full Sniveling Complaint Mode, and didn't want an answer.

But God answered anyway.

He brought to mind all the Time-Suckers devouring my schedule. I took an honest look at my computer time and cringed.



Time-Sucker #1: The E-mail Flood.


Between 65-90 new emails attack my inbox daily, mainly because I'd signed up for a free webinar or make-up sample.

Tantalizing offers beckoned, and my mouse went on auto-click.
        

After all, Publisher's Clearing House assured me I was a MILLION DOLLAR WINNER!

I just needed to peek inside to confirm. I spent 6 minutes clicking through the links.

 All You magazine displayed 25 ways to clean my house with vinegar. I knew I wouldn't use any of the tips, but wasted 7 minutes scrolling through them anyway.

The Mayo Clinic's email showed delicious recipes I'd never make. That would involve cooking.


Yet I drooled over the pictures for 8 minutes.



Ecclesiastes chapter three speaks of a time for everything,

          




                            Weeping
                                          Laughing
                                                        Mourning 
                                                                       Dancing


I didn't see a specific verse about superfluous emails, but time is a precious gift from the Lord.
I'm going to use mine better.  
 
Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NLT)
 
Today I unsubscribed from a dozen sites.
I'd love to hear your top ways to control the inbox beast. Just don't add any recipes or cleaning tips, I beg you.

The next Time-Sucker on my list: social media. Raise your hand if you're addicted to videos of pajama-wearing goats.

All pictures courtesy of stockphotos @ freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment