Thursday, September 26, 2013

You matter.

You've probably seen the Miss America running gag in movies or TV.  A cheesy host asks the contestant, "If you could have one wish, what would it be?" The young woman simpers and answers in a sugary voice, "World peace."         
                     
                                                                                      
I'm not bashing Miss America. I cheer for those young women...even with my cellulite showing, and my triceps flapping. The contestants are intelligent, talented, and beautiful.

What about when we don't feel intelligent, or talented, or beautiful? Or worthwhile? Or loved?
Hold onto your Kraft American singles because this may sound as cheesy as the mock Miss America host.
If I could have one wish, I'd want everyone, young and old, to know this: You are special. You are loved. You matter.
Since the Miss America Fairy won't be swooping by to grant my wish, I'll remind you, starting now.

You matter so much that God says to you, “I’ve never quit loving you and never will. Expect love, love, and more love!" Jeremiah 31:3 The Message.
May that truth bring peace to your world.

Photo of Mitzi Strother, Miss Florida 1941 from http://www.flickr.com

1 comment:

  1. You're reminding me of one of my favorite revelations and reflections: the insane thought that God of the Universe looks at us (looks at me - I'm selfish) and says, "You're my prized possession, my special treasure."
    Jonathan, my 12 year old, has a rock collection. (Ask Shari sometime. He trades rocks with her monthly.) He beams when he gets to show them off, and he goes through the bin talking about the special qualities of each.
    I picture God doing much the same with us. "Check this one out... oh wait, I have to show you this one... Do you see how amazing that one is?"
    It's ridiculous. But it's His Word, so I go along with it.

    ReplyDelete