Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cutting the Cable




In my last blog I admitted my weakness. I'd created a late night TV and junk food comfort zone.


I'd tried to break the habit. The trail of nacho cheese Doritos gave me away.


I came across Psalm 138:3

"As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength."

Oh yeah, baby, that's what I needed. Strength.


So I prayed for it, expecting be endowed with super-human strength. A sudden disdain for chocolate. A potato chip aversion. Instead, my husband Jake, himself a TV junkie, asked if I'd be willing to cut out cable.


Say WHAT?

My husband spends the majority of his at-home time camped out in his Lazy Boy in his secret lair--the basement.

But the day after I prayed Jake said, "I have too much to do around the house to waste my time watching TV. How would you feel about canceling the cable?"


Say WHAT?            
photo courtesy of Ambro@freedigitalphoto.net

After I picked my jaw off the floor we pulled out the cable bill and checked the latest rate increase. That clinched it.

March 31st will be our last day. No cable TV as of April Fools' Day. Ironic, huh?

Jake & I are getting prepared.

  • Instead of turning on the Weather channel, I stick my head out the front door.
  • Rather than checking in with Cramer and the gang, Jake's going online for stock market reports.
  • For breaking news stories we have our dads on standby. If Walter Cronkite was alive, they'd scoop him. Both fathers know everything happening locally, nationally, and around the world.

I think we're covered.


God answered my prayer in a totally unexpected way. Has He ever answered yours in a way that caught you by surprise? I'd love to hear it.


Meanwhile, I'll keep you up to date on our cable-cutting experiment.

Goodbye Turner Classic Movies. I hope Robert Osborne will be OK without me.


Photo courtesy of imagerymajestic@freedigitalphoto.net
 
As Walter would say, "…and that's the way it is, March 26th, 2014"

No comments:

Post a Comment