Tuesday, August 12, 2014

1000 years of wisdom


I danced in the arms of a stranger while my husband slaved away on a 12 hour shift.

Big cheating hussy?
 
No, I had taken my in-laws to Omaha's Corrigan Senior Center.



My dance partner, Joe, guided me through a polka as guest musician "Barefoot Becky" fired up the room with her accordion, accompanied by her wise-cracking husband on guitar.

 



As the rollicking music poured out, the senior party-people kicked up their heels with enough energy to make a young rapper envious.
photostock @freedigitalphotos.net
I scanned the room and realized I was surrounded by over 1000 years of combined knowledge. So when Barefoot Becky hot-footed off to her next gig, I tapped into that wisdom by asking people this question:


If you could go back in time and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?


Here's a sample of their wisdom: 

Mary, Jerrie, Rita, Irene, and Lawrence all agreed they'd tell themselves to go to & finish college. 

Rita, with 50 years of nursing experience, stressed learn how to study.

Marcie and Dale said- study harder. Not surprising their advice coincided since they've been married for 60 1/2 years.

Joan-help kids onto the right path.

Lorraine-don't get stressed out. Go with the flow.

Evelyn-enjoy every day.

Val-be more outgoing socially.

Sharon-don't take yourself so seriously.
 
Eileen-don't work so hard.
 
Sandy countered with- never put off for tomorrow what you can do today.

Jonie and I had this in common-we'd have given our lives to Christ much earlier.




photostock @freedigitalphotos.net
We can't go back in time to give ourselves advice, but we can do a turn around right now.
 
 
 
Turning our lives over to Jesus is the most dramatic life changer possible.



This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 2 Corinthians 5:17

And those nasty things we've done?


He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.  Psalm 103:12


Talk about good news!


Here's more good news. If you know someone over 60  send them to Corrigan's senior center. Manager Lynnette and the gang will make them welcome. And I'll even share my dance partner, Joe.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment